A highly annoying virus, that seems to love coming back. It has many names. The virus i saw it named as was kasper.exe. What it does is redirect your folders and make them a shortcut and hides your real folders. You are unable to access the contents of your file from the shortcuts and are instead redirected to the desktop or the root of your flash disk.
The good news is that you don't have to format your usb/flash disk. As your files are most likely just hidden. To unhide you real files follow these instructions.
Click on "Start" -->Run-->type cmd and click on OK.
Let's assume your removable HD is G:
Enter this command: attrib -h -r -s /s /d g:\*.* (replace the letter g with your external hd "your letter" letter showed under "My Computer"). Make a space between the letters
1. Go to control Panel, Folder Options -- select VIEW--- select Show hidden files and folders and uncheck Hide protected operating system files (recommended) now click APPLY
2. go to your external media and it should show you all your folders hidden including the virus----- delete the virus and all the shortcut folders that have no data in them. create new folders and copy the data from YOUR hidden folders into them. once that is done delete the old hidden folders.
3. enter task manager--- find the program that is still running which will have the same name as the one you just deleted off the hard drive---- right click it and select open file location---- this should show you the virus location---- delete it!
4. return back to control panel, Folder options select view----- select DO NOT show hidden files and folders and recheck Hide protected operating system files (recommended)
5. Restart computer---- open task manager and ensure that the program is no longer running